This was my lunch the other day. True story.
I couldn’t resist it, and I figured my hour long morning walk “evened” it out.
I have to admit, that there is a peach in this pie as well, but it’s more mango than anything- that’s why I didn’t call it mango peach pie. It would be like calling a cookie with one chip- a chocolate chip cookie. I’m sure you know what I mean. However, you can make this pie with all peaches…or even other fruits. Go ahead, get all fruity.
I used a pre-made pie crust, (not Martha) but, I sliced my own fruit and made my own custard & streusel. (Total Martha)
not Martha + total Martha = a little Martha.
mango custard pie
- 1 single crust pie
- 2 large mangoes sliced or any other fruit (peaches, strawberries, plums, etc) enough to form layer on bottom of pie shell (2 cups)
- 1 8 ounce container of sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 425
- Arrange fruit slices on bottom of pie crust.
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream, yolks, flour, sugar and extracts. You can mix by hand with a whisk.
- Pour the custard over the fruit.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While pie is baking
- combine 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- /2 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- combine with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over pie (after it has baked for 30 minutes) and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Cool one hour. Serve warm or chilled.