When I was a kid, there was only one type of “lunchbox brownie” made by Little Debbie… it was a thin fudgy brownie with a thick frosting and just enough walnuts on top. Years later, “Cosmic Brownies” evolved, with was the same concept, except that the walnuts were replaced with candy covered chocolate pieces. But, I am a creature of habit, and I like my walnuts.
A few weeks ago, I decided to “treat’ my daughter to a box of one of my nostalgic favorites, and I have to admit, I was pretty excited to bite into one of them again… it had been at least 20 years, …and it inspired me to create a homemade version…And, of course there was “someone” who said I couldn’t do it.
Which, to me = “I triple dog dare you.”
Because when anyone says you can’t you simple have to take it as a dare. 😉 Remember that.
So… I made these brownies and topped them with a fudge ganache. As you can see from the picture, (my version is on the left) mine came out a lot thicker. Next time I’m baking them in a 9×13″ pan instead of an 8×8″. That will solve that. Although, thick, fudgy brownies aren’t really a “problem”, you know…
I’ve come to the realization that one of my favorite things to do is re-create L.D. snacks:
Years ago it was the Boston Cream Cake Roll
I take requests.
Oh yes… by the way. I am back in full force.
Maybe life took a hold of me, and maybe I suffered an extreme case of writer’s block, maybe my favorite lens broke, and maybe I went vegan a little too long… Honestly, it was pretty much everything. But.. all of that is behind me for now, and it’s time to move ahead and get back focused on why I started this little blog in the first place. To share. To make y’all smile. And, to let you know it’s okay if you burn things and forget to add the salt sometimes.
So… I dare you: share your favorite lunchbox snack. I just might make you a homemade version. 🙂
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts for topping- or to be mixed in batter, based on preference
- For the icing:
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line and 8" square pan with foil or, for thinner brownies use a 9x 13" pan.
- In a microwave at 50% power, melt the chocolate and butter. Stir in the sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add the flour and mix until incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 35 minutes for 8" or 25-30 for the 9x13"
- Allow to cool completely before topping with chocolate ganache
- For the ganache:
- In a double boiler over medium low heat, melt the chips and the cream until smooth.
- Spread over cooled brownies, top with walnuts and place in refrigerator to set.