German potato salad: (n)
– the total opposite of your mama’s potato salad.
The other day, when I didn’t know what to make for dinner (again! ) my hubby requested my “German baked pork chops” , and I got to chose the side.
I never made this type of potato salad before, but I thought it went well with the main dish, and I was too lazy to make spatzle.
Anyway, those of you that have not ever had German potato salad- here’s what it’s like:
It’s served warm.
and… I added crisp bacon. So… mine is bacon-y.
It’s also taste-y.
|German potato salad||
- 2 large potatoes
- 1/2 large onion
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt, pepper, sugar (as needed)
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water, place over high heat and boil until tender. (20 minutes)
- Carefully peel the potatoes, and slice them in to 1/4″ half moon slices.
- Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Place the vinegar into a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium high heat.
- add the mustard and cooking oil, mix well.
- add the salt , pepper, and sugar to taste.
- Bring to a boil and add the onion and bacon. Cook briefly (3-4 minutes)
- Pour over potato slices and mix, set aside for 20 minutes and top with parsley.
- Serve warm.