baby caramel apples~ portion control by nature
My husband says I talk like an old lady sometimes. It’s because I say things like “marketing” and “tiding up”…hmmm.
So, the other day, I was marketing with my sweet mama and came across “lady apples”- little tiny sweet miniature apples.
How cute?! Little things are always cute. Unless it’s a little cup of coffee. Then, there’s going to be words. Anyway….
I debated going all super-homemade-Betty-Martha-Crocker-Stewart and making homemade caramel to dip these in. But… with baskets of Halloween candy marked down 90%…. I went with some good old fashioned wrapped caramels.
Speaking of really good markdowns… Halloween costumes were 95% off yesterday. I found a cow costume complete with a pink rubber udder. It’s the perfect Christmas gift. Really. I’m going to wrap it up and give it to my hubby as a gag. And, he did say he’ll dress up next Halloween. Tee-hee. No, that’s not his only gift. He will get a shiny bell to wear, too.
I am thinking of banning my family members from reading this site for the next month… that way, I can tell everyone what I bought/made/found. For now, I can tell ya about stuff for the hubby and my mom. They both don’t come here.
I found my mom this awesome antique perfume decanter at an estate/yard sale. Ch-ching! Three dollars. I’m certain it’s worth more. I need to learn all those markings on breakable things.
Anyway, back to apples:
It’s not rocket science. You melt the caramels, and dip the apples. Place them in a nice ant-free location to set up. Yes, those ants tend to know where the sweets are. Grrr. There must be a shortage of ant food outside, because they keep coming to my house to eat.
I felt my apples looked a little “naked” so I dressed them up with some melted chocolate:
|baby caramel apples||
- 1 bag wrapped caramels
- selection of apples to dip; washed and dried.
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, (to melt/drizzle)
- optional: chopped nuts, coconut, sprinkles to top
- Unwrap caramels and place in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons cream
- Microwave at medium power for 1 minute.
- Stir caramels and continue heating at thirty second intervals until melted and creamy.
- Add any toppings you may like that need to adhere to the caramel
- Dip each apple in caramel and place on wax paper or another non stick surface to set.
- If drizzling with chocolate, melt chocolate in microwave and drizzle over set apples.
- Store in the refrigerator
You must be logged in to post a comment.