Sometimes, you feel like you just “need” to get your green on.
No, I’m not talking about your trusty green T shirt that you pull out of the drawer every St Patrick’s Day, I’m talking about getting your “eating green” on.
You know those days, the ones that hit you generally after a wild feast, be it the local fair, a holiday or birthday or the chocolate fountain at your cousins wedding. Those days when even your sweat pants are tight, and you swear that your dryer must have gone through a hot flash during it’s last cycle… Those are the days when you feel like you have consumed a vast amount of unnatural foods, and you feel like you need greens like a deer stuck in the Sahara.
But… maybe you’re like me, too… and salads just don’t “do it” for you.
I mean, I LOVE a good salad with dinner. FOR dinner is another story…
(unless it’s bacon ranch buffalo chicken)
But, let’s face it: the bacon-ranch-buffalo-chicken with a side of chocolate fondue is what got us into this mess anyway.
So, let’s get our “greens on”- the tastiest way possible.
Years ago, when I launched this blog, I shared a spinach burger recipe. And, to date it has been shared, stolen and pinned close to a ga-zillion times. (Yes, I said ga-zillion.)
Today, (actually a few weeks ago) it has been revisited, and matured a bit with the addition of caramelized onions, baby portabello mushrooms and feta cheese. (Not too much, though… remember we are trying to get out green on, not our cheese on)
I promise you, … we will be getting our cheese on- that’s an entirely different post, though.
There you have it. You can get your green on in a hearty, manly way.
Because I still haven’t been able to create a manly salad that doesn’t involve bacon.
And, I’m a girl who likes her greens manly. 🙂
These can’t be any easier, either- especially with summer coming! It’s not heavy, but still feels hearty… and I promise you… those sweat pants will be comfy once more.
For the origianl Spinach Burger recipe click here: SPINACH BURGERS
spinach burgers with feta and mushrooms
- 1 bag 16ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 egg
- 4 TBS crumbled feta cheese
- 4 ounces chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- crushed red pepper optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute the mushrooms and onions until tender and golden
- Place the drained spinach in a bowl and add the mushrooms, onions and remaining ingredients.
- Shape into patties
- Cook on a non stick skillet (over med/high heat) that has been coated with cooking spray,
- Cook 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve on pita bread, with lettuce and tomato, or eat plain.
You must be logged in to post a comment.