chocolate chunk scones~ because sometimes you need a hunk of chocolate in your breakfast
You know those days… when sometimes life just doesn’t seem to go as smoothly? The days where you’re running late, the car breaks down and you stub your toe? Add to that not enough money in the bank, heath concerns and general issues that arise in life… well- I have had those days lately. Nothing helps to get me out of my ruts like baking up something. And taking pictures of it. And, knowing I have a tasty breakfast to grab and go for yet another busy week ahead.
There is a reason I only dated him.
You don’t get far trying to pass over an event, especially when you’re 16. anyway… there is a birthday coming up. So it means I have to make a new list. My old list is here, in case you missed it.
Gee, I got some of the items done. Time to make a new one.
Back to scones:
I discovered an “A-HA!” moment while making these. Potato mashers make excellent pastry blenders.
A not-so-a-ha moment: Chocolate chunks do not cut well if you’re trying to use a cookie cutter. I should have used chips. Oh well.
Another thing with these…. they’re really good with Nutella.
…and coffee. Enjoy!
|chocolate chunk scones||
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or) all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening or butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt.
- Cut in the butter (or shortening) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Add the egg, vanilla and milk.
- Stir until combined
- Flatten out to 1″ thick and cut into circles or other desired shape.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes