This is a revisited post from 2009 newly updated with photo and printable recipe. Enjoy!
There is a tradition on Sundays at our house, it started one day when I was looking for inspiration in my vast collection of cookbooks. I came across two that I have overlooked for quite some time. One is called “The Black Family Reunion Cookbook” and the other, “Healthy Soul Food”. I started making a few dishes inspired by the books every Sunday and now the recipes have been incorporated into my collection. I am going to share with you a new soul food staple.. today it’s my southern Grandmother’s biscuit recipe.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tsp baking powder make sure it's fresh-date on bottom of can
- 1 tsp cream of tartar don't omit
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 cup veg. shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Combine all the DRY ingredients into a bowl, cut the shortening into the flour with two knives or a pastry blender.Add the milk and stir JUST UNTIL the mixture forms a ball. Place in fridge 20min. Preheat oven 425. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it ONLY 14 times. Pat out 1" thick.( thick is the key here)Cut with a 2" biscuit cutter.
- Place on cookie sheet (I put parchment on mine) 1" apart.
- BRUSH THE TOPS WITH LOTS OF MELTED BUTTER! (yum)
- Bake 15-20 min. Keep an eye on em though...sometimes mine bake quick. ENJOY!