Hmmm… remember when I was talking about the chicken and potatoes? Okay, well….there was a cooking competion and a challenge was to make a dish with chicken and potatoes. Of course- after I watched it I woke up in the middle of the night and decided on this in my imaginary cooking competition. And, ya know what? I won. Why? My hubby LOVED it. He’s my judge. Especially when I make macarons. He claims to be an expert. Aw, how sweet. So..y’all know I’m NOT a chef. Or a baker, for that matter. I went to college for psychology. I managed a health food store. Maybe one day I will go to a formal school… but being in the kitchen is a mini vacation for me- I don’t ever want to lose that. I wonder if I would…I need to ask a chef… (Dennis? are you out there?) Just a thought for the day. Ahhh- right now I’m a mama so I suppose I will worry about that in a bit.
Back to food. You can make this dish with one pan. Cool, huh? Well- that’s not counting the baking sheets-sorry.
Bear with me- it’s not an exact recipe-can you cook without a recipe? Some people can-some can’t.
It’s hard to wing it baking…cooking is easier. I always get my baking powder/soda ratios to flour confused.
Let’s wing this together! (It’s chicken, remember?)
What I did:
1) pounded 2 butterflied chicken breast flat
2) seasoned with Adobo and fresh pepper
3) cut up some baby orange, yellow and red peppers along with some sweet onion
4) place in a small cast iron skillet with 1 tbs butter and a sprinkle of kosher salt
5) cook until “al dente” -try and keep hubby away from eating them out of the pan)
6) place peppers/onion in chicken breasts and secure with toothpick (reserve some for sauce/garnish)
7) sear outside of the breasts in the pan that had onions and peppers
8) preheat oven to 425
9) slice potatoes in 1/4″ rounds, spray with cooking sprat on each side and sprinkle with garlic,salt,pepper and parsley
10) place potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer
11) place chicken and potatoes in oven (sep. pans) bake for 35-40 min
12) same onion/pepper/chicken pan-malt 1 tbs butter
11) add 2 tbs flour to make a roux
12) add 1 c half and half and a splash of good dry white wine and bring to a boil over mad heat, stirring
13) season with crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt and finely chopped reserved peppers from earlier.
14) pour sauce over chicken breasts
15) plate and serve
There ya go.
Enjoy. Y’all want some life gossip? Okay- remember the psycho ex? she got married.( Yay!) And guess what the little ^$* did less than 48hrs after her wedding? Went on facebook and slandered MY husband on HIS mom’s “wall”. Jeez- I don’t know about y’all but I was busy doing “other things” right after my wedding. I could care less about the rest of the world….I guess all newlyweds are different. 🙂